Choregraphy : Harold Rhéaume
Length: 60 minutes
Lay Bare…without Undressing
Let’s get the obvious question out of the way: in NU the dancers do not appear naked. Instead, what is laid bare here is the essential vulnerability that makes us human.
With the high degree of sensitivity that has become his trademark, Rhéaume offers us a deeply personal piece in which human relations take the centre stage. And human relations are a lot like dance as Rhéaume sees it: complex, a little bit dangerous, and endlessly subtle.
Bodies come together as sensuous sculptures with a tenderness that will warm your heart and make you forget, momentarily, the prevailing cynicism of our times.
Premiering as part of La Rotonde’s 2008 season, the show played to sold-out houses and left audiences thoroughly convinced and deeply touched.
“I had tears in my eyes!”
“Your show moved me, body and soul. When I walked out the door, I had no choice but to believe that we are capable of beautiful things, good things.”
“An extraordinary production, daring and evocative. I was touched from start to finish.”
“Thanks for giving me the chance to taste so much, so much beautiful movement, so much elegance.”
“Thank you so much for this lovely gift that is NU. The dancers were luminous – Bravo!”
“Accessible in the best sense of the word (…) Transparency of the kind we rarely find in contemporary dance today (…) not a wasted moment (…) Harold Rhéaume’s NU is a stunning performance.”
“Rhéaume garners rave reviews wherever he goes (…) His work is shot through with a human touch, poignant as a knife to the heart. The pieces gets inside of you, leaves you feeling naked, and stay with you long after the curtain drops on the magnificent finale.”
“Moments of great beauty and emotion (…) The dancers’ physicality and Rhéaume’s sensitive choreography create powerful images you will not soon forget.”
- April 2008: Théâtre de la Ville (Longueuil)
- September 2007: Salle Albert-Dumouchel (Valleyfield)
- August 2007: Salle Pauline-Julien (Ste-Geneviève)
- Dancers: Marilou Castonguay, Alan Lake, Alexandre Parenteau, Arielle Warnke St-Pierre
- Music: Mathieu Doyon, Katia Makdissi-Warren
- Lighting: Lucie Bazzo
- Stage Design: Lucie Bazzo, Harold Rhéaume
- Costume Design: Janie Gagnon
- Other Team Members: Christian Garon, Catherine Guay, Vincent Poliquin-Simms
- Video Capture: Denis Dubuc
- Video Editing: Synonyme média
- Photos: Lucie Bazzo, David Cannon
Performances and tours
- February 17, 2009: Caserne Dalhousie (Quebec City) – Bourse RIDEAU
- October 30-31 and November 1, 2008: Salle Multi – La Rotonde (Quebec City)